Shown here in a pen and ink rendering done
Cpl. John H Breen was recovering
from wounds at the, Annapolis, Maryland,
Army Hospital, Cpl. Breen was one of the
2nd Maine Volunteers transferred to the 20th
Maine just before Gettysburg.  Shown here
after amputation of his left hand, more detail
of Breen’s Civil War service may be found in
one of our earlier presentations on page 15.
War Department General Order #243 records the Court Martial of
several 2nd Maine Troopers who, expecting to be mustered out with
their 2nd Regiment at the end of its term in June of 1863 but instead
found themselves transferred to the 20th Maine Infantry where they
were expected to complete their enlistment.  Unlike the majority of 2nd
Maine members who had enlisted for the term of the Regiment, the
very unhappy fellows who found themselves instead transferred to the
20th, had entered service for a fixed period separate and apart from the
term of the Regiment.  While most and eventually all the effected
troopers took up arms and served with Col. Joshua Chamberlain’s
regiment there was a small number who initially refused.  Their action
was viewed as all out mutiny and Pvt. Henry Moore was the major
instigator as he encouraged others of the old 2nd to join in the rebellious
action.   Henry was quickly made an example of as Court Martial
proceedings were brought against the stubborn Bangor cooper, turned
soldier, then mutineer.  Considering action brought against the primary
instigator all holdouts from the old 2nd Maine quickly accepted their
20th Regiment comrades as comrades in arms except Pvt. Henry H.
Moore who was found guilty as charged and was
sentenced to be shot
to death by musketry.
 Moore’s sentence before an Army firing squad
was commuted by President Abraham Lincoln to imprisonment at hard
labor for the war’s duration.   Henry Moore was finally persuaded to
pick up arms with the 20th and was returned to that regiment in April
1864.  He was wounded fighting with the 20th Maine at Bethesda
Church on June 3, 1864 and was discharged at the end of his original
enlistment of service Sept. 20 1864.