Recorded as James A. Coffin when he mustered in as a Private of
Co. E
1st Maine Heavy Artillery.  Pvt. J. Ansel Coffin died in
just over two months from his mustering in.  The Regimental
Hospital Surgeon recorded the cause of death as encephalitis.  
Arrangements were made to recover and return his remains to
Maine to be laid to rest in the family plot in the North Lovell
This February 1862 dated receipt was issued by Emery & Shepley, Frankfort
Mills, Maine grave stone and monument dealers, to John Bradley for the
marker of his diseased son
Alonzo Bradley.  Nineteen year old Alonzo and
his eighteen year old brother Alfonzo Bradley were residing in Dover, Maine
with their father, step-mother and five siblings when on July 15, 1861 the
adventurous brothers enlisted and mustered in together as Privates of Co. A
6th Maine Volunteer Infantry.  As members of the 6th Maine the brothers
Bradley saw action at the Siege of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Gaines’ Mill,
action at Savage Station, White Oak Swamp and Malvern Hill before they
were both taken as prisoners of war at Centerville, Virginia September 2,
1862.  Upon parole Alonzo Bradley was taken to Hammond U. S. Army
General Hospital at Point Lookout Maryland where he died of chronic
diarrhea on December 10, 1862.  Brother Alfonzo was returned to duty with
the hard fought 6th Maine Infantry and  though wounded at the Battle of
Fredericksburg, Alfonzo Bradley would muster out with his Regiment in
August of 1864.  He returned to Dover where he lived to the age of seventy-
three before he was laid to rest  with brother Alonzo in the family plot at
Dover Cemetery in what is now Dover-Foxcroft, Maine.  
A classic example of Maine Yankee frugality, when the Waterford, Maine
Bisbees’ lost a second son to the Civil War in six months’ time, they opted
to remember both boys on a single plaque.  Young
Volney Bisbee was 20
years of age when he enlisted and mustered in on September 29, 1862 as a
Private of Co, K
23rd Maine Volunteer Infantry. He would die of
tuberculosis at Emory U. S. Army Hospital in just four short months with
burial in Washington D. C.  Loved ones made arrangements to recover Cpl.
Volney Bisbee’s remains for reinternment in the family plot,  Bisbeetown
Cemetery, Oxford County, Maine.   Older brother
Zenas Bisbee had
relocated to Massachusetts before the Civil War where he worked in a shoe
manufactory as a stitcher before he mustered in on August 28, 1862 as a
Private of Co. G
43rd Massachusetts Infantry.  He was discharged for
disability on 4/3/1863 at New Berne, N.C.  A medical notation recorded
March 25 1863 at Camp Rogers, New Bern - Taken sick on the expedition to
Goldsboro December last.  Since that time has not been able to do any duty.  
He has had the diarrhea most of the time.  He has had a bad cough and has
lost a great deal of flesh.  He was well before the expedition.  He was
subsequently diagnosed by the Regimental Surgeon as having
 ( tuberculosis ) with chronic diarrhea and night sweats.  Ruled
totally disabled Zenas Bisbee was discharged to be sent home to Waterford
where he died on July 9th 1863.   He was laid to rest next to his brother in
Bisbeetown Cemetery.